Cleveland native, Zayna, is a wife and stay at home mom of three with a Master of Arts in Teaching. She is an avid fan of scrapbooking, ethnic dining, and traveling.
Q: Where do you most of your grocery shopping?
Zayna: I love the deals at Kroger but the majority of my grocery shopping is done at Aldi. They have awesome prices.
Q: What is your favorite meal on a dime?
Zayna: My favorite meal on a dime is spaghetti. This is the recipe:
Recipe prep: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: about 6 people
• 1 lb ground turkey 12 ounces linguine
• 1 cup packed cilantro leaves and slender stems
• 1 small green bell pepper (chopped)
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1/2 cup shallots or onions minced
• 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
• 1 pound tomatoes, peeled, seeded, diced and drained
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 Italian Seasoning
• 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
• 1/4 teaspoon season salt
• 1 package Lipton onion soup mix
• 1 jar (45 ounces) of Italian spaghetti sauce
• 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
• Add sugar to taste
1. In a large saucepan of salted boiling water add spaghetti and cook until al dente. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, green peppers, minced garlic, and cook stirring occasionally for 3 to 5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
3. Brown ground turkey while adding cumin, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, celery seeds, Italian seasoning, dried oregano, season salt, and the Lipton onion soup mix.
4. Add the tomatoes, cilantro, and spaghetti sauce and simmer 2 minutes. Drain pasta, add to saucepan and cook tossing until combined well for 10 minutes. Transfer to a warm serving platter and serve hot.
5. Add optional ingredients (cheese and/or sugar)
Q: What is your favorite snack on a dime?
Zayna: My son loves PB & J cut into shapes.
Aldi Prices: Bread $0.89, Peanut Butter $1.15, & Strawberry Jelly $1.79
Q: What are your kids favorite meals?
Zayna: My kids love pizza, spaghetti, and fish( salmon or catfish)
Aldi Prices: Pizza $5.49, Fresh Salmon $18.92 & Frozen Fish $7.69
Q: What are some good snacks when you’re on the go?
Zayna: My children love goldfish, popcorn, pretzels, veggie straws, grapes, apple slices, and apple sauce.
Aldi Prices: Goldfish $1.89, Popcorn $1.49, Pretzels $.99, Veggie Straws $1.89, Grapes $1.29/lbs, bag of apples $4.29, & Applesauce $1.29
Q: Do you have any school lunch recipes?
Zayna: My kids take leftovers for lunch. This is their preference, not mine and it saves time in the morning.
Q: What can you cook when you dont have a lot of time?
Zayna: Spaghetti is the easiest to cook or make salads with grilled chicken?
Aldi Prices: Salad ingredient: Spring Mix $3.99, Shredded Cheese $2.29, Chicken Breast $1.59/lb, & Salad Dressing $1.29 Spaghetti ingredient: Spaghetti noodles $1.09, Spaghetti Sauce $.85, Seasonings $.95 each, Turkey meat $3.49, & Parmesan $2.29
Q: When traveling, what are some ways you save money on meals and snacks?
Zayna: We save on meals by using gift cards for restaurants. We stay in rooms with full kitchens so I can cook and have meals for a day or 2. When we get to the location, we shop for fresh meat and fruits and pack a lot of dry snacks and breakfast food.
Aldi Snacks: Fruit Bowl $1.59, Muffins $2.29, Fruit Pouches $2.39
Aldi Breakfast: Organic Oatmeal $2.29, Cereal $1.19 – $2.39, Muffins $2.29, Breakfast Sandwiches (4) $2.29
Follow Zayna on Instagram @84thatswhatshesaid
Questions or comments please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you want to inspire people by sharing your story? Let’s collaborate!
Do want to learn how to earn some extra money or need help creating goals for your life? Check out Zazo Dream Resources.
- 7 Minute Self -love Meditation – Audio
- The Most Important Things Are Those That Happen Within Us
- Living in the Moment
- How to Heal From a Divorce or Breakup – Setting Goals